Cinema & TV
(currently being updated)
2022: Producer & Cinematographer – Byte Force, Ateles Films
2022: Producer & Cinematographer – Wild Adaptation, Ateles Films
2021-2022: Producer – Wild Dunes, Ateles Films (tba)
2021-2022: Producer – A Fox tale – Adventures in Netherlands, Ateles Films (tba)
2014-2022: Co-Producer – From Orphans to Freedom (Endangered Species & Pet Trade), Ateles Films – Guatemala
2022 – Cinematographer – Darwin's Amazing Animals, NHK Channel 1
A 28 min film following the foxes in the Netherlands.
Premiere Date: 22 January 2023 (Japan)
2022 – Drone Cinematographer – Going Circular, Off the Fence for Arte
A 89 min feature documentary tells the story of four visionaries from around the globe, whose thinking shapes and informs the concept of circularity.
Premiere Date: 21 April 2022 (Germany)
2020-2021 – Director/Director of Photography/Editor – Hidden Nature of Holland - Fox and Rabbit: Battle on the Sandy Land, Ateles Films for NHK Japan
A 59 min blue chip natural history film that reveals the wildlife that lives in the coastal area of the Netherlands. Japanese Title: 知られざるオランダの自然 キツネとウサギ 砂の大地の攻防
Premiere Date: 27 September 2021 (Japan)
2021 – Contributor for BBC Motion Gallery – Endangered, Discovery Channel
Premiere Date: April 2021 (Worldwide)
2020 – Contributor for BBC Motion Gallery – Primates: Protecting Primates, BBC One
Premiere Date: 17 May 2020 (UK)
2020 – Producer – Spider Monkey for Sale, Ateles Films
This micro movie shows what is the true cost of wanting and owning a baby monkey as a pet.
Festival release date: 18 September 2020 (Portugal); October 2020 (Germany)
2020 – Director/Cinematographer/Writer – Füchse - Eine wilde Geschichte, Ateles Films for Terra Mater
A 48 min blue chip natural history film that follows red foxes that live in a beautiful place surrounded by herds of wild animals.
Release Date: 09 September 2020 (Austria)
2019 – Producer/Cinematographer/Editor – NHK WILDLIFE: Dutch Reclaimed Land: Fox hunts Greylag goose, Ateles Films for NHK
A 59 min blue chip natural history film that follows red foxes and other wild animals that live in Oostvaardersplassen in the Netherlands.
Release Date: 02 July 2019 (Japan)
2016-2019 – Producer/Cinematographer/Editor – Une vie de renarde, Ateles Films for France Televisions
This blue chip natural history film follows a family of red foxes that lives in a beautiful place surrounded by herds of wild animals.
Release Date: 26 December 2019 (France)
2017 – Director of Photography/Director – Darwin's Amazing Animals: Ample Babysitters, NHK Channel 1
A 28min film following the Barbary Macaques in Morocco's Atlas Mountains.
Premiere Date: 27 August 2017 (Japan), 29 December 2018 (NHK World)
2016-2017 – Director/Producer/Cinematographer/Editor – Pyrenees Mountain, Ateles Films for NHK Japan
A 59 min blue chip natural history and conservation film that shows the life of the lammergeier, one of the most endangered bird in Europe and all the effort made to save it from extinction.
Broadcast date: 07 August 2017 (Japan)
2017 – Cinematographer – Age of the Big Cats - World Domination, Ateles Films for Ammonite Films/Terra Mater/Curiosity Stream
This episode explores the era of world domination of big cats focusing on lions, tigers and the extinct saber-tooth.
Broadcast date: 26 September 2018 (Austria) / 01 September 2019 (USA)
2016-2018 – Cinematographer – De Wilde Stad/ Wild Amsterdam, EMS Films for Cinema
A 85 min cinema wildlife feature film that explores one of Europe’s most vibrant and dynamic cities through the eyes of its wilder inhabitants.
Cinema release date: 01 March 2018 (Netherlands)
2016 – Director of Photography – Mosquito, Ateles Films for Yap Films/Discovery Channel
This documentary educates those who are unaware of the dangers posed by mosquitos worldwide.
Broadcast date: 06 July 2017 (Worldwide)
2014-2016 – Cinematographer/Drone Cinematographer/Himself – Planet Earth II: Jungles* & Planet Earth II: Diaries, Brazil & Guatemala, BBC Natural History Unit
Michael J. Sanderson filmed the spider monkey and dolphin sequences for the Jungles episode. Using Ateles Films 4K Coptercam and handheld gimbal, he filmed the spider monkeys in Guatemala and river dolphins in Brazil. Jungles was nominated for the 2017 BAFTA in the category BEST PHOTOGRAPHY FACTUAL
Premiere Date: 2016/2017 (Worldwide)
2010-2016 – Director/Producer/Director of Photography/Editor/Writer/Author – Return of the Spider Monkeys, Ateles Films for Nat Geo Wild/Arte
A 50 min documentary that follows the life of Infinity, a female spider monkey, showing all steps that she goes through from the moment she was rescued from the illegal pet trade in Guatemala until the moment she was released and living back in the jungle without any human intervention.
Michael has been developing this idea since 2003. He witnessed in first person what happens after release back into the wild without human intervention. He shot, directed, produced, wrote and edited the film.
Broadcast date: 14 December 2016 (France/Germany); 07 May 2017 (Worldwide)
2014-2015 – Director of Photography – Holland: Natuur in de Delta, EMS Films for Cinema
A 96 min cinema feature film that explores the life cycle of multiple wild animals in the by-humans created Delta of the Rhine and Meuse in The Netherlands.
Cinema release date: 24 September 2015 (Netherlands)
2015 – Cinematographer – Natural World: Jungle Animal Hospital, BBC Natural History Unit/PBS
This documentary shows the work of a team of vets at a jungle animal hospital in Guatemala.
Broadcast date: 14 April 2016, BBC 2 (United Kingdom)
2014-2015 – Producer/Director of Photography/Editor – Barbary Macaques: Childcaring is the man’s job*, Ateles Films for NHK Japan
A 59 min film following the life cycle of North Africa’s only monkey species, the Barbary Macaques in Atlas Mountains of Morocco during all seasons.
Broadcast date: 02 March 2015 (Japan)
2012-2013 – Director of Photography – All the Wild horses, 3rd-i Films, Guerilla Docs, Martilo Pictures, Ateles Films, Mongolia
A feature documentary about the Mongol Derby horse race, the longest and toughest horse race on earth, over 1000km of Mongolian wilderness, and easily the most epic and dangerous, as it leads through 650 miles of Mongolian steppe, desert and mountain ranges.
Premiere Date: June 2017 (United Kingdom)
2011-2013 – Director of Photography/Cameraman – De Nieuwe Wildernis, EMS Films for Cinema and VARA (TV)
The biggest wildlife film ever shot on Dutch soil, about the surprisingly rich nature reserve Oostvaardersplassen, 20km from Amsterdam.
Cinema Release Date: 26 September 2013
2012-2013 – Director of Photography – Living on the edge, Vogelbescherming/New Earth Films for VARA/Vroege Vogels
2-Part series about bird migration from the Netherlands to the Sahel in West Africa, where birds come into conflict with man and must survive crossing the Sahara.
Premiere Date: June 2013 (Netherlands)
2011 – Director of Photography – National Geographic in Oost Groningen, New Earth Films for National Geographic Channel
A partnership between the district Oost Groningen and National Geographic set up 12 National Geographic Logos in the landscape. For this production, Michael J. Sanderson, shoot two short commercials to be aired on the channel. The shoot started in March on the island of Terschelling, where the massive logos had been standing for 2 years. The films followed the logos from the island to the their new homes on the mainland.
2010 – Director of Photography – Oerpinda, Jack Klijn/New Earth Films for National Geographic Channel
In November & December 2010, Michael J. Sanderosn shot a commercial for Jack Klijn, about their new peanut the OERPINDA. He shot for a week in every location, from the rainforest to salt plains and cities, to show the diversity of Bolivia where the peanut has its origin. This film was aired on National Geographic channel and in the cinema in the Netherlands.
2010 – Cameraman – Egypt Press Trip, New Earth Films for National Geographic Channel
During October 2010, Michael J. Sanderson accompanied a press trip highlighting the new Egypt series to be broadcast on the National Geographic Channel. The trip took them to the Giza Pyramids and Sphinx, and the tomb of the Silver Pharoah north of Cairo near Tanis.
2010 – Director of Photography – Eddy Zoey Commercials – Vogelbescherming/New Earth Films for National Geographic
Completed filming of tv commercials for National Geographic and Vogelbescherming featuring Eddy Zoey, which was aired from March 2010 on National Geographic Channel Benelux.
2009 – Producer/Director of Photography – Chernobyl’s Radioactive Wolves – BBC & ORF & NDR & PBS
This production was a concept that Michael J. Sanderson developed alongside Stefan Huck in 2007, where they radio collared and monitored the increasing wolf population around the Chernobyl Nuclear Reactor and its surrounding exclusion zone. Michael J. Sanderson, completed over 40 days of filming in 2009 on the new Red Digital Cinema camera the RED ONE.
2006-2008 – Cameraman – Smalltalk Diaires – Ammonite Ltd for BBC
Michael J. Sanderson contributed as a cameraman on the 10-part series Smalltalk Diaries in 2006 and 2007. Premiere Date: 17 March 2008 (United Kingdom)
2008-present – Camera Operator to Online Stock Footage Libraries
Active contributor for several audio visual online stock content libraries including Pond 5
2013-2017 – Camera Operator/Editor (Aerials & Ground) – Natuurbeelden, Beeld & Geluid, The Netherlands and The Dutch Caribbean
An audio visual project filmed in 12 locations in The Netherlands, Bonaire and Curacao for The Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision
- Judge for “Cinematography” category, Jackson Wild Summit, 2023, United States of America
- Preliminary Jury 2023, SILBERSALZ Science & Media Festival, Germany
- Judge for 2023 World Wildlife Day Film Showcase: Conservation Heroes, organized by Jackson Wild, CITES, UNDP, CBD and UNEP, New York, United States of America
- Preliminary Judge for “Cinematography” and "Short Films" categories, Jackson Wild Summit, September 2022, Austria
- Pre-selector for "Wildscreen Official Selection", Wildscreen Festival, 2022, United Kingdom
- Judge for 2022 World Wildlife Day Film Showcase: Recovering Species, organized by Jackson Wild, CITES, UNDP, CBD and UNEP, March 2022, New York, United States of America
- Preliminary Judge for “Cinematography” categories, Jackson Wild Summit, September 2021, Jackson WY, United States of America
- Final Judge for “Short films for Adults” and “Short films for Kids” categories, The International Wildlife Film Festival GREEN SCREEN, 2021, Eckernförde, Germany
- Preliminary Judge for 2021 World Wildlife Day Film Showcase: Forests, organized by Jackson Wild, CITES, UNDP, CBD and UNEP, March 2021, New York, United States of America
- Pre-selector for "Wildscreen Official Selection",Wildscreen Festival, 2020, United Kingdom
- Preliminary Judge for "Behaviour" category, Jackson Wild, 2020, Austria & United States of America
- Preliminary Judge for 2020 World Wildlife Day Film Showcase: Biodiversity, organized by Jackson Wild, CITES, UNDP, CBD and UNEP, March 2020, New York, United States of America
- Preliminary Judge for “ Visualization" category, Jackson Hole Wildlife Film Festival, September 2019, Jackson WY, United States of America
- Preliminary Judge for " Visualization Award", Science Media Award & Summit, 2016, Boston, United States
- Nomination Judge for “Cinematography Small Crews”, Wildscreen Festival, 2016, Bristol, United Kingdom
- Nomination Judge for “Cinematography Large Crews”, Wildscreen Festival, 2016, Bristol, United Kingdom
- Preliminary Judge for “Best Wildlife Habitat Program”, Jackson Hole Wildlife Film Festival, 2013, Jackson WY, United States of America
- (2023) Mentor at Jackson Wild Mentorship Program, Jackson Wild Summit , EUA
- (2022) Speaker at Webinar: Wildlife Filmmaking – Stories from the Wild, Pixfactory and Natuurfotografie.nl, November, Netherlands (online)
- (2017) Speaker at Wildernis Café: Liefde en Macht, Staatsbosbeheer, October, Oostvaardersplassen, Netherlands
- (2017) Speaker at Drone World Expo – Aerial Artistry: Exceptional Film and Television", San Jose Convention Center, October, San Jose, United States of America
- (2017) Guestlecture at "Guest lecture by: Michael Sanderson", Stenden Media & Entertainment Management, Stenden University, April, Leeuwarden, Netherlands
- (2017) Guestlecture at "BA Cinematography", Nederlandse Filmacademie Amsterdamse Hogeschool voor de Kunsten, March, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- (2015) Guestlecture at "Seminar - Open Class", Faculty of Fine Arts, University of Porto, October, Porto, Portugal
- (2014) Speaker at Inspiration Day – Leren met Natuurbeelden, Institute Beeld & Geluid, November, Hilversum, Netherlands
- (2013) Speaker at "Master Class De Nieuwe Wildernis", CineMec, December, Ede, Netherlands
- (2017) Pictures published in the book: De Kat in De Wilde Stad. Netherlands: EMS Films. ISBN: 9789047625094
- (2017) Book The Drone Camera Handbook, Aurum Press Lta, by . ISBN-10: 1781316066
- (2016) Mention in the "Acknowledgements" and publication of Pictures "BBC": Planet Earth II - A new world revealed. United Kingdom: Stephen Moss (copyright), David Attenborough ( ). ISBN: 9781849909655
- (2016) Pictures published in the article "Monkeys regulate metabolism to cope with environment and rigours of mating season", Journal Biology Letters, 19th of April of 2016, University of Cambridge
- (2013) Pictures published in the book: De Nieuwe Wildernis - Grote natuur in een klein land. Netherlands: EMS Films. ISBN: 9789082060249
- 2022 Vaasa Wildlife Film Festival, Winner - Short Film, Finland - Spider Monkey for Sale
- 2021 International Nature Namur Festival, WINNER - Best Ultra-Short Film Competition, Belgium - Spider Monkey for Sale - function: Director/Producer
- 2020 World Wildlife Day at the UNITED NATIONS/CITES/JACKSONWILD Film Showcase: Biodiversity, Honorable Mention: Micro Movie, USA – Spider Monkey for Sale - function: Director/Producer
- 2017 Special Mention Award – 16th Baikal International Festival of Documentary and Popular-Science Films (Russia) – Return of the Spider Monkeys aka Saving Infinity ZA SHANS SPASENIA MIRRRA (WORLD) – function: Director
- 2017 Finisterra VI Arrabida Fil Art & Tourism Festival – Best Cinematography (1st), Best Documentary (2nd), Best Wildlife & Nature tourism (3rd) – Return of the Spider Monkeys - function: Director, Producer, Writer, Editor, Cameraman
- 2016 International Green Culture Festival “Green Fest”, (Serbia) - Official Selection for 'Best Nature Film', – Return of the Spider Monkeys - function: Director, Producer, Writer, Editor.
- 2016 International Elephant Film Festival – Science & Elephant – Minds of Giants – function: Cameraman
- 2014 Rembrandt Award – Best Film – De Nieuwe Wildernis – function: Director of Photography
- 2014 Gouden Kalf – Public Prize – De Nieuwe Wildernis – function: Director of Photography
- 2009 Jackson Hole Wildlife Film Festival – Best Short Film Award – Smalltalk Diaries – function: Cameraman
- 2009 Green Screen Naturfilmfestival: International Wildlife Film Festival – Children's Audience Award – Smalltalk Diaries – function: Cameraman
- 2008 Wildscreen Panda – Best Series & Best Innovation – Smalltalk Diaries – function: Cameraman
- 2008 Chicago International Children's Film Festival – Best Live Action Award – Smalltalk Diaries – function: Cameraman
- 2006 Matsalu Nature Film Festival (Estonia) - Finalist Film - Wolves of Lusatia - Function: director, producer, camera, edit, script
- 2005 Ecovision Film Festival (Sicily, Italy) - Finalist Film - Wolves of Lusatia - Function: director, producer, camera, edit, script
- 2004 Ed Boyce Memorial Award - Winner - Southampton Institute (Solent University) - BSc (Hons) Film & Video Technology with Broadcast Systems Engineering
*List not updated